The season of bushes, hedges, and shrubs are back. Now that we are at home, we have enough time for ourselves to concentrate on taking care of our home. This includes the backyard which will definitely get messier. Why? Because hedges, bushes, and shrubs are growing fast.
Hire professionals to do the job for you? No, here’s a better option. Get your hands on the best hedge shears on the market. You can even go for the best professional hedge shears.
In this article, I will talk about professional and non-professional best hedge shears and best electric hedge trimmers. So, overall, blades. These blades are something you must need if you have a backyard that needs regular maintenance.
So, without further ado, let’s get started with the reviews!
10 Best Hedge Shears Reviews
1. Okatsune Precision Hedge Shears
There’s a reason why Okatsune added the word precision to the name. It’s because the craftsmanship making these hedge shears is absolutely stunning. It makes these shears best in class for precision cutting and designing your bushes to make your home look better in every way.
Not only the build but also a lot of things are present in this blade that makes it one of the best choices to make while buying hedge shears.
- Professional usage: this article was supposed to be about non-professional home use hedge shears. This is one of the most widely home-used ones. Also, in Japan, where taking care of backyards is one of the most prominent past times, this hedge shear is used professionally. So, this home-use product has a professional utility and acceptance all over a country where people generally own hedge shears or backyard maintenance is a very busy profession.
- Build quality: most manufacturers are more dedicated to perfect the blades. Because it’s a tool that is supposed to be sharp so that it can cut through branches and leaves. It’s evident that the blades will be made with sheer quality. This makes the manufacturers almost forget about the handle. The handles are as important as the blades. Because if you’re not comfortable or the handles are not made properly, you won’t be able to work properly. To make sure of that, the handles are made with Japanese white oak.
- Easy to use: people often complain about their hedge shears that they are really stiff and it’s not easy for them to utilize it. It takes a lot of pressure to work properly with them. But in the case of the Okatsune Precision hedge shears, they are really smooth to work with and people find it very easy to use. It’s one of the reasons why professionals and non-professionals like this tool so much.
- Well build
- Precision cutting
- High-quality blades
- Handles are made with high-quality raw material
- Very easy to use
- Blades aren’t that long to reach for the high branches
2. TABOR TOOLS B212A Telescopic Hedge Shears
If you admire manual labor and enjoy working with fine pieces of equipment, this one is the ideal one for you. The Tabor Tools B212A. The telescopic hedge shear blades for trimming shrubs and hedges. This hedge shear has a very attractive design as well as attractive specifications. The build enables you to design bushes as well as cleaning hedges, shrubs, and even trim tall bushes.
- Sharp blades: sharp blades are not a specific feature. Any hedge shear has to have a sharp blade. But the difference of this blade and the other blades is that the blades are wavy. The wavy blades make the small branch cutting easier. Also, waves allow precision cutting all over. So, the wavy blades add some extra weight to the precision and sharp blade feature.
- Shock-absorbing bumper: the hedge shears have shock-absorbing bumpers. Now, why do you need shock-absorbing bumpers for a hedge shear? While using a hedge shear one might experience some arm and shoulder fatigue that tends to make you less productive while designing your bush. You should know bush designing takes a lot of time in the first place. If you can trade off the fatigue anyhow by lessening the vibration, your designs will then turn out to be better. That’s why shock absorbers make any hedge shear better.
- Customizable blade tension: how can you make a simple hedge shear a better device? The answer is by adding simple tweaks. In the pivot bolt, there’s an extra added feature that allows you to adjust the blade tension according to the type of plant you’re cutting. The blade tension adjustment allows you to be even more precise while designing any bush.
- Wavy sharp blades
- High-quality build
- Best for designing bushes
- Shock-absorbing bumpers
- Adjustable blade tension
- A bit heavy
3. Barnel B1100L Professional Hedge Shears
Hedge shears are simple tools. So, professional or non-professional, any type is best for home-usage. But a professionally used hedge shear is definitely a better choice rather than a non-professional one. So, introducing the Barnel B1100L, a 30-inch heavy-duty professional hedge shear.
In the case of hedge shears, Barnel is the name to trust. They have been in the business for long enough to be acclaimed as one of the best hedge shears manufacturers in the industry.
- Build quality: in any hedge shear, build quality is a big issue. People regularly complain about randomly bought hedge shears that they break, the handle breaks off, the bolt gets loosened in no time, and a lot more. These are the reasons why Barnel has focused on the build quality of the shear rather than just focusing on the sharpness of the blades. So, this means that their hedge shear is sharp and also well built. The handles are made with aircraft-grade aluminum.
- Chrome blades: unlike other hedge shears, the blades on this one are made with chrome and the blades are step-down. These chrome made blades enable you to make precision cuts when you’re designing the bushes in the backyard. The blades are so advanced that anyone without a professional aptitude for trimming can actually make perfect designs.
- Self-oiling center bolt: the mechanism requires regular oiling for effective work. It’s not just this specific one. Every hedge shear requires lubrication from time to time so that you can work properly with them. Barnel has decided to add an extra fascinating feature to their tool. They have installed a self-oiling mechanism in the middle bolt that allows the tool to oil itself when necessary. This is a new feature in the industry. Many manufacturers are looking forward to applying this to their tool.
- Step-down chrome made blades
- Aircraft-grade aluminum handles
- TPR grips for comfort
- Self-oiling center bolt
- Deep sap groove on the blade
- Handles are a bit heavy
4. Bahco P51-F Hedge Shears with Steel Handles
With all the tools getting new designs, a new type of blades, and many notable new features, BahcoP51-F still stuck to the old primitive design. The design of this hedge shear is really simple. You don’t really get to see simple designs in high-end hedge shears. But there’s something more to these simple-looking hedge shears that we will find out now.
- Professional usage: unlike other home hedge shears, this one has professional usage. Primarily, it’s used in vineyards, estates, parks, etc. Also, the basic design keeps the workability of this tool simple as well. This enables people to concentrate on the artwork. while working on bushes. So, this hedge shear is ideal for topiary designs on bushes, and small plants.
- Heavy duty: the blades have partly serrated edges. These edges are built for cutting branches that are up to 15mm thick. Not all design dedicated hedge shears are capable of doing that. Hedge shears that are used for designing purposes are usually less focused on heavy-duty. Rather the blades are slick and really sharp. That’s all the concentration the tool gets. But in this one’s case, build quality is maintained and also, the blades are made in such a way that they can concentrate on design work and also, cut 15mm thick branches with no sweat.
- No assembly: there are some hedge shears in the market which can be really annoying after you buy them. It’s a simple tool. Some manufacturers, in the name of a complete experience, keep the hedge shears in parts and provide tools. This is really annoying and there are also many chances of failure and losing the tool. If the assembly is not perfect the tool will surely break and also might cause injury because of the blades. So, it’s really important to stay safe and buy hedge shears that are already assembled just like this one. Also, it has a very limited record of having manufacturing problems.
- High but simple built
- Heavy duty
- Very high-quality serrated blade
- Can cut 15mm branches
- No assembly needed
- Design is too simple
5. Corona HS 3950 Extendable Hedge Shear
The newest addition in the world of hedge shear is executable handles. Working on parallel handles has been reported to cause fatigue in a very short time. We don’t really keep our hands simultaneously parallel for a long time. So, when we have to keep them this way, they wear off quickly. That’s why a simple solution that this hedge shear comes with is extendable handles.
- Extendable handles: unlike other hedge shears which force you to keep your hands parallel to each other while working, this one offers maximum comfort. Just adding cushioned grips on the handles is not enough anymore. Because holding the shear is not the problem, the way of holding is. That’s why this one comes with the option of extendable handles that allow you to extend the handles, to reduce their lengths. These extendable handles also help you to reach for the branches and leaves that are hard to reach.
- Long blades: the blades usually in hedge shears are not long. They are sharp, thick, serrated, but not long. But sometimes you do need long blades. Why? Let’s explain. This one comes with extendable handles that allow you to reach far. The long blades help you with that. With the extendable handles and the long blade, you get to reach spots that once were unreachable with the short blade and short-handled hedge shears.
- Lifetime warranty: usually, hedge shears being a not so expensive tool, does not come with a warranty. But this hedge shear comes with a limited lifetime manufacturer’s warranty. This warranty is not provided because the company has doubts about its production. It’s given because the company knows that their product is good, this warranty is a trademark for their confidence over their product.
- Long handle and long blades
- Extendable handles
- Smooth pivot bolt
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Not suitable for users with small hands
6. ARS HS-KR1000 Professional Hedge Shears
Many people have said hedge shears somewhat resemble pliers. This hedge shear has a design that is derived from pliers. Well, people thought it wouldn’t look as good as other hedge shears which have a classy look. But overcoming all expectations the ARS HS-KR100 is the living example that simple hedge shears can be of great quality.
- Pivot bolt: blade adjustments is now the trending feature that most hedge shears are complying with. This adjustment feature will surely become a mandatory one in every upcoming model of hedge shears. This adjustment pivot bolt helps you to adjust the pressure of the hedge shear. This adjustment is necessary for curing and trimming different types of plants, shrubs, and bushes.
- Build quality: most manufacturers worry too much about the blade. But the whole point of a hedge shear is making it easier to use rather than other primitive tools. If you only focus on the blade you will end up having another primitive tool with just an upgrade in design. The whole idea of making things easy will go into vain. Keeping that in mind, this device has a very well-built design that allows you to enjoy maximum comfort while working. That’s why professionals who have to work with these tools all day, prefer this one over other similar grade products.
- Lightweight: the steel made body makes you obviously wonder whether this tool would be heavier than usual or not. The answer is no. The tool is made using very strong grade steel. But the molecular density of the steel is low. This amount of steel is less than usual which makes the tool lighter than most other its competitors. But don’t be worried about its durability because the steel grade ensures that it remains as it is for a very long time and delivers you a similar performance it used to.
- Great build quality
- Comfortable to use
- Adjustable pivot bolt
- Sharp blades
- Primitive design
7. Gonicc Professional Adjustable 33″+ 13″ Hedge Shears
The inches are deliberately added to the name. Why? You could go through hundreds of similar grade and similarly priced hedge shears, you will not find another piece that has these lengths. This means this one is a one of a kind long hedge shear with long handles and long blades. It’s specially designed to get rid of the high branches and leaves.
- Extendable handles: most hedge shears don’t even have handles that are as long as 33″. 33″ inches is the non-extended size of the handles this tool has. You will be surprised to know that you can increase the length of the handles for longer than another foot. Yes, that means you get to extend the handles up to 13″ giving the whole handle a length of 46″ which is a little shy of 4 feet. This is probably the longest available handle length in any hedge shear.
- Better blades: the best kind of blade contains carbon steel as raw material. This hedge shear has Sk-5 wavy blades that are made of high carbon steel. These blades have been tested to have these extra features, they are sharper than other blades, stay sharp for longer and are more durable than other steel made blades. So, you get very long extendable handles along with a very high graded carbon steel wavy blade which will definitely stay sharper for longer. And the wavy part is best for precision cutting.
- Shock absorbing: the length is a big issue here. The distance from the hand to the blade is a lot, about 4 feet apart when extended. So, while working, shivering and shocks are expected. These shocks definitely harm the design that you are trying to achieve. To ensure this shock does not come between the way of you getting the perfect design on your bushes, shock-absorbing bumpers are added. These bumpers not only reduce shock and save your design but also reduce the chances of you facing any fatigue due to long work.
- Extendable long handles
- High-quality blades
- Great build quality
- Shock-absorbing bumpers
- Adjustable blade pressure
- A bit on the heavier side
8. FLORA GUARD Professional Extendable Hedge Shears
Flora guard is a very renowned manufacturer in the market of gardening equipment. They produce the best quality equipment and tools that will help you to take better care of your backyard, your home, and even your garden.
Their hedge shears are widely used all over the world. So, if you’re looking for a name that is trusted by all, this is the one to go for. Also, the product itself is the best grade available.
- Extendable handles: extendable handles are the next best feature that most manufacturers are opting for. Before introducing it, people thought they would need two different shears for their different height plants and bushes. Some used to buy a long one and while using that on the small bushes, they used to stand a bit far. That hampered the whole segment of designing. So, having a long extendable handle enables you to use one tool for all and make it comfortable according to your necessity. This tool has 26″ long handles that can be extended to 34.6 inches which is quite good.
- High-quality blades: plain blades are no longer suitable for precision cuts. Lots of tests were run on to find out what type of blades are best suitable for designing purposes. It was clearly found out that wave blades have better results. Also, people found and reviewed them as better than plain blades. That’s why most manufacturers are now adding wavy blades to their hedge shears. Because everyone wants precision cuts. Among the long line of upgrades, this one is one of the first and still one of the best ones to have wavy blades.
- Shock-absorbing bumpers: when the manufacturer realized that just having wavy blades and the extendable handle is not enough, let’s add the third most wanted feature. The shock-absorbing bumpers that are widely known to work as a catalyst for better designs. Also, they reduce fatigue which increases the work hours.
- Best build quality
- Extendable handles
- Super sharp wavy blades
- Shock-absorbing bumpers
- 3 months after the sale service
- Design is too rugged
9. Intertool Garden Adjustable Manual Hedge Shears
Think about one tool that can work on all sorts of debris in your backyard. Then, think about a name that can surely deliver the product. Add them together and you now have the Intertool garden adjustable manual hedge shear. The name sounds really promising, right? Well not just the name, the features are awesome as well.
- Extendable hedge handle: just like any other professional hedge shear that enables you to work anywhere, this one has the same feature. You can extend the handle to your necessity. Too short to reach the top of your designed bush? Not a problem! Just extend the handles, you can reach where you couldn’t before. The basic handle length is 23 inches and you get an extra 4 inches to reach higher leaves.
- Build quality: just making the tool with high-quality raw materials is not enough. You have to have the perfect quality craftsmanship to deliver the best quality product that can compete in the market. Intertool is best known for that. They have a great quality manufacturing line. Most of their products are known for their high-grade quality and best build. Those products include this one too. It’s made with high-quality raw materials and the machinery used to make this tool is also state of the art.
- Comfort: the idea of adding grips to the handle is not a new one. But one thing that most manufacturers forget that even rubber grips can cause the hedges to slip from the hand and destroy the whole design you’ve been at for a long time. That’s why aside ensuring comfort, undertook has added grips that are non-slip. No matter how much your hands sweat, the grips won’t let go. You can hold the hedge shears perfectly and keep on working to perfection.
- High-quality build
- Extendable handles
- Long blade
- Non-slip grips
- Comfortable to use
- Does not extend too far
10. Fiskars 391911-1002 Power Lever Hedge Shears
Most hedge shears add adjustable tension on the pivot bolt so that you can adjust according to your necessity. But that only depends on you. Most people don’t even know how to adjust accordingly. So, to reduce that issue, Fiskars has introduced a physics-based system that allows you to put extra pressure while working. The pressure comes out 2x of what you provide. This makes your work easier.
- Strong and sharp blades: this tool has strong and sharp steel gator blades. Steel gator blades are known for providing extra pressure. They not only ensure precision cutting but also you can cut through a sufficient amount of branches to make your designs better than ever on backyard bushes. This is why professionals love this tool so much. It does not offer expandable handles but still, it’s one of the favorites of the professionals.
- Self-sharpening blades: Fiskars has constantly amused its customers with new features that blow their minds. When the sharpness of the blades became an issue, manufacturers came with wavy blades. But nobody came up with the solution of how you can make the blades sustain longer with their sharpness. Fiskars introduced their self-sharpening blades which are patented under their name. It’s a wonder how this method works and it’s evident that it really does work.
- Grips and shock absorbers: no extra added bumpers that add extra weight to the hedge shear. Rather the grips which ensure comfort also work as shock absorbers that reduce fatigue of long-time work.
- 2X power
- Powerful and sharp blades
- Self-sharpening technology
- Comfortable grips
- Shock absorbers
- Cannot be extended
How To Buy the Best Hedge Shear?
You can not just rely on some list that may or may not grant you satisfaction. A hedge shear can cost well between the price range of $50. If you buy a shear that doesn’t meet your personal necessary requirements, then it’s a $50 bill that you will never get back.
So, it’s important to know how to buy the best hedge shear within your budget before jumping the guns. There are a lot of comparisons to make so sit tight and go through the most important part of this article.
Why Are Manual Hedge Shears Better?
People have forced automatic products over manual products because automatic ones reduce labor. It’s a good thing not to have to work too much while doing anything. If there’s any product that can make your work easier, we always suggest going for that.
But not in this case. You see, while we cut the bushes and shrubs in our backyard, we don’t always uproot them, we keep them, we design them in such a way that they don’t seem like debris. Rather they work as ornaments. So, precision cutting is very important when it comes to taking care of your backyard.
Automatic trimmers here cause a problem. Sometimes there is just one leaf that you have to get rid of at a place. Automatic trimmers don’t let you do that. Automatic trimmers directly either destroy the whole branch or cuts too much.
So, the expected precision is not met by automatic shears. On the other hand, with manual shears, you have full control over what your next move would be. If you exactly know what you’re doing, you can make precision cuts.
Also, for home use, automatic trimmers are not ideal because even professional backyard workers often make mistakes while using automatic trimmers. That’s why if you even ask professionals, you’ll see that for precise cutting they carry manual hedge shears aside their trimmers. You can’t really afford to buy both, can you? No, so the best solution for you is to buy manual hedge shears.
Also, in the case of maintenance, the only maintenance a hedge shear needs is sharpening, which is not that hard if you have any sharpening tool.
But, maintaining an automatic trimmer is harder than using it. Sometimes twigs and leaves can get stuck inside the mechanism causing complete failure of the machine.
Also, gas powered and oil-powered trimmers are never eco-friendly. They generate smoke that can potentially harm the plants of your garden. Though it’s not that significant, still being eco-friendly is something we all want to be.
Lastly, gas powered and oil-powered trimmers are not at all cost-friendly. It’s expensive to maintain these tools. Considering everything, hedge shears are far better in every way.
Why Are Wavy Blades Better?
There are many hedge shears that either have a very plain simple blade and there are newer models that have wavy blades. These two types of blades have nothing to do with the physical attributes of a hedge shear. Rather both types of blades resemble something.
Plain blades are the primitive ones. You will find plain blades on old model hedge shears. Newer models have mostly wavy blades. Now the question is why the difference and which one is better?
Hedge shears are more opting for better cutting abilities. The manufacturers are trying to make their blades the most promising one available in the market. That’s why newer models have wavy blades.
Wave blades were tested against plain blades on account of precision and overall performance. Turns out wavy blades are more efficient than plain blades. That’s why most companies are introducing new models that have wavy blades instead of the plain ones.
When you’re buying a hedge shear, you should always look for wavy blades over the plain ones. Because wavy blades are better in every way.
Maximum Cutting Thickness
Hedge shears are only meant for cutting leaves and stems. Stems are usually no thicker than 15mm. This means hedge shears cannot cut anything thicker than 15mm. If you try anything more than that, you will deliberately damage the tool.
So, knowing the exact thickness you can work with is very important. Some manufacturers lie in the features about cutting even thicker branches. Those tools usually break while trying that. So, always make sure that your hedge shear says it can cut up to 15mm nothing more. Because that’s their limit.
Why Pivot Adjustment Is Needed?
Not one type of adjustment is ideal for cutting every type of bushes and shrubs. You need different pressures to cut different sorts of branches, leaves, and bushes.
That’s why pivot adjustment is kind of necessary. But if there’s no pivot adjustment available, look for a hedge shear that offers higher leverage that force. This means whether the pivot can multiply the force or not.
If it can, you’re good to go. Otherwise, adjustable pivot bolts it is.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How do you sharpen hedge shears?
Sharpening a hedge shear is not that hard. You can either go to a professional who sharpens hedge shears and other metal equipment. It’s not that expensive as well.
Hedge shears do not lose sharpness easily. But if they do, you can always sharpen them.
If you want to sharpen them at home, you can either use a metallic sharpening tool or you can use sandpapers.
Sandpapers are good for sharpening hedge shears. They are not expensive and you can buy them from any hardware shop.
Q. How do you clean hedge shears?
Years ago, when hedge shears weren’t made with stainless non-rust steel, cleaning was a burden. The blades we’re often lost to rust. But now it’s not even an issue.
You can rub the whole blade surface with sandpaper, then clean them with water. Remember to dry them off quickly. Rinse off the water and you can let them dry under the sun for a while.
Q. How do you use hedge shears?
It’s nothing complicated. You hold each handle with each of your hands. It’s very easy. But there are definitely some safety measures that you have to take.
For example, you should wear rubber gloves while working because it’s a blade and can injure you.
You should wear glasses because sometimes stem and leaves can shoot themselves into your eyes and cause serious damage. So, the safety measure is important while working with a hedge shear.
Q. What are the best pruning shears?
There are thousands of products to choose from. But if I am to name some of the brands to go for, they will be Fiskars, Gonicc, Corona, Intertool, etc.
We will definitely have an extensive discussion along with a how-to section about running shears.
So, these are the best hedge shears that you can buy today. I’m sure after going through the whole article, you already know what to choose and also you do know yourself why you will choose that one. So, from now on, you will be able to make your own choices about hedge shears.
Of course, if you’d decide to buy any of the above you can be sure of one thing, they all are the best ones available in the market. You can blindly go for any and enjoy complete satisfaction while using.